Wonderfully Simple

Monday, November 17, 2008
Misinterpretation

First, read this article: ACJC girl tied up, roughed up, and humiliated on elite JC premises.

Next, view the videos.

Then, decide whether you agree with what the writer said.

Personally, I think the writer was making a mountain out of a molehill. I think whether or not the whole incident should be considered a case of bullying is primarily subject to the "victim's" perception. It was quite evident from her tone of voice and the things she said that she wasn't shaken by the whole thing, yet it wasn't so, to the writer. I mean, of course no one has some (sick) burning desire to be put in a situation like that, but in this particular case, since the person appreciated his/her friends' thoughts, then who are you to complain?

The birthday girl even broke down and cried in the video.


I suppose the writer was referring to the moment just before she got smashed. Really, if she indeed did break down and cry, I'm confident the rest of them would have had the moral capacity to stop there and then. But nah, she (much to her misfortune) was okay with it.

Now, to drive home the point that the writer was wrong: Not bullying, but birthday celebration amongst good friends, says ACJC

Some "gems" from the comments:

smartypantx said on 16 Nov, 2008

you guys werent even at the scene, you guys dont even know what truly happened. if it was bullying, im sure the girl can complain and sue the whole lot of them. and the video is clearly blurred. we cannot even see the so-called "victim"'s expression. you guys just base your view on whatever is written. like hello, maybe whoever the weird person is to post this video off, HAS CLEARLY MISINTERPRETED the whole thing? what makes you guys think that her judgement and her view and whatever she said was right?


Ding!

Oktoberr said on 16 Nov, 2008

smartypantx you are what your name suggests, acting smart and nothing more. You going to JC? My toes are laughing you might as well forget about it because you clearly don't have the capability to achieve that. I find it pathetic and laughable of you that you are unable to accurately visualise, judge and imagine the situation based on the video and sound. It just shows your level of mental capacity and ineptness.


The irony. Not to mention, he's making personal insults, which I feel are totally pointless and unnecessary. I actually hate people who resort to this, which automatically includes 90.23423% of the population on the Internet, or at least, in online gaming.

And well... Posting the video online isn't the smartest thing to do. Even if it's to share with friends, you'll never know when someone might see it, misinterpret it and take it out of context, then post it on some public media.

Without the videos themselves, I personally still wouldn't have made a judgment just by reading the article, because I don't have background knowledge. However, I suspect that quite a few others would have immediately lambasted the supposed ridiculity of the situation. Regardless, even with the videos around, the same shit happens. Doesn't help that it's usually these same people that are vocal, and thus create the false impression that nearly everyone is on the same wavelength as them.

Point is, don't post shit up unless you're fully informed, and don't say shit unless you know what shit you're spouting (I know I might be shooting myself in the foot here, so go ahead and point it out).

There's entirely another debate on the gray area between "in good humour" and "bullying", and I don't think I wanna say much about it, but you can probably infer my stand from what I said earlier on.